Thursday, February 26, 2009

Another Tax Proposal and a Chicago Tea Party in New York City

In the words of the great philosopher Samuel L. Jackson, “Enough is enough! I’ve had it with these muthafreakin’ taxes in this muthafreakin’ state!”

One of my biggest problems with the current tax code is that it punishes “good” behavior by pushing the burden on the most productive and entrepreneurial citizens. It’s one thing to tax cigarettes or for Gov. Paterson to tax non-diet sodas to combat obesity, but why turn around and tax people on the other side of that?

There is a proposed 4% tax on gym memberships in New York State. So once again the people who are doing the “good” thing by making the financial commitment to live a healthier life and thus reducing the likelihood for utilizing the healthcare system are now going to be taxed for it. This tax would also be charged to people who belong to Weight Watchers and even the YMCA. The almost invariable irony is some of that money will be used to care for people who neglected to take care of themselves.
Did I mention 25% of the state is on Medicaid?

I cannot vouch for what kind of group or movement based on Santelli’s rant will become, but I did join their Facebook group and figured I would pass along the information.

NYC EVENT:
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Time: 2:00pm
Location: City Hall Park
City/Town: New York, NY

Information on other Tea Parties is here.

1 comment:

james said...

The world's gone insane. Next, they'll tax me for paying my taxes on time. Time for the tea party!